Saturday, December 4, 2010

16 patches

How did I not see this until now?

I have heard this book mentioned a bunch of times in my years hanging out in quilt-blogland, but it wasn't until last week that I was curious enough (or smart enough?) to do an interlibrary loan search and request it.  I want to own this book, is it still in print?

there is so much in here.  I mean, so much good information/inspiration.
but this week, i'm in love with 16 patches, and the 16-patch-on-point border in specific. 

IN LOVE i tell you!

so I tried some, getting over my initial hesitation because the thought of stitching together sixteen 2" squares from a laid out block plan just seemed a bit too--- fussy (?) to me.  How in the hell would anyone want to suffer through doing that enough times to have the right amount of blocks for a border?!  (of course, you can see I didn't actually read the book before trying this, i just looked at some pictures... In my defense, I was technically reading it over Merrill's shoulder while she was here Wednesday, but I did go back and read the instructions more carefully after I made several blocks..)
Luckily, I have just spent several days cutting and piecing strip sets for the Mystery over at quiltville, so I thought I'd give strip sets a try for this too.. I started sewing strips, cutting them into 2" sections, and then piecing 4 patches, but that made my seams all nuts in the back.  So then i had a brilliant idea... why not sew two sections together on the short side, making one LONG strip of 4 squares?  Brilliant, I know! (and if I would have read the book first, Gwen & Freddy actually tell you to piece 4 strips together before subcutting, but I couldn't see that far ahead..)

One day's worth of stitching (an hour at naptime and 45 minutes before bed on Thursday) and I have 10 adorable 16 patches in monochrome turquoise.  The initial plan was to do just one long side border with them, kind of like the collaboration quilt in the book, but once I started playing with them on the design wall, I'm wondering if I shouldn't do two side borders and keep the applique only on the bottom, or do top and bottom applique..

Oh~ the design struggle!  What to do? How can I make this quilt?  But I'm loving it.. loving being so deeply involved in this project.  I've been obsessed with a quilt before, but here I feel consumed..
I know there is plenty of school work to keep me busy over the next 10 days until winter break (only 10 days!), but I think this quilt will probably steal some of my time too.  I've still been appliqueing slowly during George's baths, but at least it's something.  I know I'm headed in the right direction...

12 comments:

  1. I love those sixteen square blocks! That quilt is coming out great. Don't you just love being so wrapped up in project that you can't wait to get to it? I know I do.

    Try Amazon for the book. I bet they have it, and probably a used one to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun stuff! glad you found the short cut on the 16 patches... ;-) Looks great Jess! Happy bday tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt in progress is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks lisa, amazon's got it. now i just need to drop the right hint to "santa"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this quilt! I'm usually not a turquoise person but you've just made it look so lovely. And every bit you add on to it makes it better and better. I can't wait to see the applique!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a beautiful one to be consumed by! Love the 16-patch blocks on point like that, and I can't wait to see what comes next...

    ReplyDelete
  7. wheeee! fun quilt. yes, both the first and second collaborative books are still available and practically a steal for all the beautiful photos they each have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the 16 patches on point. lovely, lovely! i was daydreaming about 16 patches this morning while i was making my bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay...you have done it...i like it a lot...so much so..that i may have to try a monochrome something of my own...smiles. Merry Christmas J...

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh Yes you NEED this book in your library!
    its one of my favorites!!!!
    I just love looking thru it for the colors and love seeing the traditional quilts made with bright colors!
    A dream of mine is to take a workshop with Gwen and Freddy!
    how fun would that be????
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete

Free Zoom Quilt Class, October 20.

    Free Live Online Craft Class Learn to quilt with Jessica Wed., Sept. 9 Tues., Oct., 20, Nov. 9 7:00 – 8:00 pm Sign up now.   Take one or...